Register

Arrow My take on Biphobia

Ok, here's an article I wrote last year on Biphobia. I sent it to two Bi-friendly journals and 3 websites that publish GLBT interest articles and heard.......nothing at all, from anyone about it. Not sure if that was editorial comment or not, so read at your own risk!

My take (For what it’s worth) on Biphobia in the GLBT “Community”

By Elizabeth L

I came out to myself in my mid teens, but it took until my early 30s to be “out” and open to everyone else. Well, ok, almost everyone else. My parents were told, by a vengeful ex-boyfriend when I was 18. When confronted with the information, I refused to deny it or be ashamed, so they willed it out of existence in their minds and lives. For 25 years now, they have pretended it doesn’t exist. All of these experiences revolved around my identifying as a bisexual or as I put it, “I like girls, too”. I have been married twice, and am still married to husband #2, who is well aware of my sexual preference and is very supportive of me. Husband #1 was, shall we say, aware, period.

I was forced, by my ex-husband, who is career military, to be very closeted during our marriage. When I met my second husband, it was practically the first thing I told him, as I had had enough of the closeted bullshit at that point. My daughter I told when she was 13, and found out she had already figured it out on her own. She also is very supportive and very protective of me, especially when it comes to the Lesbinistas.

Lesbinistas, I hear you ask? Yes, and most of you bi women know exactly what I’m talking about. These are the “Pure” and “Real” lesbians who, when told that a woman is bi will immediately reply with some enlightened statement such as, “NO ONE’S bisexual! You’re just too scared to admit you’re a lesbian!” or, “Oh great – another fence-sitter” or my favorite, “Yeah, I went through that phase, too – then I got honest with myself”. These are the same women who put lovely things in their personal ads like, “No drugs, diseases or bisexuals”. How lovely it is to rank below drug addicts and STDs in someone’s esteem! I was told by a group of these women that I was not welcome to attend the lesbian support group at my local “community” center until I, “ditched the man”. There is no bi women’s support group, so I haven’t set foot inside our LGBT center since it happened, about 6 years ago, and have only attended 1 Pride event, since I got rather depressed about the utter lack of Bi representation or even acknowledgement there.

So what’s going on here? Part of it could be that I’m a little thin skinned, to be sure. After years and years of hearing woman after woman tell me about what utterly unfaithful, home-wrecking, heart-breaking bitches Bi women are, I admit to getting a little prickly when someone testily tells me they were just kidding, and geeez, don’t you people have any sense of humor? Yes, I’m mad as hell, but I’m hurt, too, by the very people I turned to for support and a sense of community. I’m also cursed to be part of the generation who can remember when Pride fests were just starting up and there was a very heady, and very real, sense of family to them. It really was about love being a Very Good Thing, no matter who it was you chose to express it with. And there was also a strong sense of it being all of us against “them”, since we all knew the straight community by and large didn’t put us into narrow little sub-groups, we were all just plain “wrong”.

Nowadays, it seems to me it isn’t being included in the “community” at all that matters, because the community, as such, hasn’t existed for a long time. These days we are first members of our various sub-communities, and pay only lip service to the idea of one community, or of a family. We all live in the little cubby holes that we’ve allowed the bossy boots in the TBLG community to put us in. (Yes, I mixed the letters up. I wonder if “the order doesn’t matter” when they’re third!)Now I’m all for being proud to be bi, or a bear, or a gender queer, or what have you, if all the pieces could still come together to make a whole. They can’t, or won’t, it seems increasingly to me, and there’s the problem. Try to get a lesbian contingent to show up at a transgendered rights rally, or ask a gay or lesbian group where your bi group can set up a table at a marriage rights rally and see what happens.

Hell, I can’t even get most lesbians I talk with to admit they’re being biphobic when I catch them at it! I play online games at a very popular site, which has several “Rainbow Rooms” for BTGL players to chat in. My profile on the site states that I am bisexual, just as lesbians and gay men have that fact stated in theirs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a lesbian say to me, “Oh great, another bisexual. Why don’t you guys start your OWN room? This one is for gay & lesbian players”. Or they will read my profile and spend 30 minutes telling me all about this backstabbing Bi bitch who broke their heart. I always counter, as politely as I can, that being dishonest or a cheater is not behavior exclusive to bisexuals, always to deaf ears. And when I tell them that they would never tolerate someone talking about lesbians in those unfair and stereotypical terms, they can get downright mean.

I read recently that one theory for this generally accepted bigotry towards bisexuals is that just as homophobia can spring from a fear about aspects of oneself in a straight person, so can biphobia in a lesbian or gay man. Those gay men and lesbians who have in the past, or even occasionally still do have sex with the opposite gender may feel a need to prove their “purity” by harassing and belittling bisexuals. I will admit that this makes some sense to me on a personal level. About 3 years ago, I decided to start calling myself a lesbian. I was just so fed up/discouraged/pissed off at the treatment I was getting as bisexual that I decided to “pass” for a while. I was amazed at how completely and quickly I was accepted as a “real” lesbian. I was included in conversations, I was invited to meetings and gatherings, and I swear I even got asked out more. Nothing else about me had changed. I still had the husband, I still was attracted to both sexes, but somehow the magic “L” word had given me something the “B” word never had: respect.

Still, I wasn’t happy, because I wasn’t being me. So I told the lesbian group I had started hanging out with that I was still married. This was greeted by immediate sympathy, and I was told that a lot of them had taken a while to “ditch the man” but not to worry, it would come to pass, and anyhow, I was being true to myself. Well, no, I wasn’t. So I took a deep breath and told them that I had no intention of divorcing “the man” because he was kind, and compassionate, and a good friend. Oh yeah, and I still occasionally snogged him, too. Do “real” lesbians occasionally snog men? Of course they do. Do “pure” lesbians ever stay married to a man, happily and successfully? You betcha. Still, my announcement had roughly the same effect as setting off a bug bomb in a phone booth: a lot of coughing and sputtering, and a mad scramble to get the hell out of there. The group told me I was no longer welcome, the invitations dried up, and I was once again living in the bisexual fringes.

Ok, you say, we get the point. Now what the hell do we do about it?

Well, I’m reminded of a sketch that Bob Newhart did on Mad TV a few years back. He played a therapist, and a woman came to him on a friend’s recommendation, because they had said that Newhart was good and cheap. He told her it would take 5 minutes to cure her and cost $5.00. She hands him the money, rather doubtfully, and begins to tell him her problem. It seems that she has a debilitating fear of being buried alive in a box. No one has ever tried to bury her alive in a box, but she’s still terrified. Newhart tells her he’s going to give her two words to carry with her and remember: STOP IT! She can’t understand what he means by this, and he replies, “…I’m not speaking Yiddish: STOP IT!” She tries to give him all sorts of justifications for her phobia, and he responds to each one, “We won’t go there.” And it’s really that simple, people.

Stop reacting to people with hostility because the person that hurt you who happened to be bi. Stop feeling threatened by somebody else’s relationship/love/lifestyle. Stop trying to justify hateful comments by hiding behind, “Just kidding”. Stop being a member of the BGTL police. STOP IT!

I know you want to quote me all sorts of studies/polls/articles that seemingly justify your position. I know it may be scary to think about including everybody under the rainbow again, or caring about the “their” rally, or cause. I know it’s easier to fire off an anti bi rant then to think about how the other person is going to feel when they hear it. We won’t go there. You know it’s the right thing to do.[object Object][object Object]

Re: My take on Biphobia

Firstly, very interesting point about re-arranging the letters of 'LGBT', it often seems that the latter half of it is often neglected or included only as lip service to bisexuals and TG people. Yeah, I would love to see a group label itself as TBGL or some other interesting re-arrangement.
    As for your views on gay/lesbian people going on about keeping their sexuality "Pure" [restricted to same sex partners only] I have to agree. In a meeting of the group [it labels itself as a 'pride' group rather than 'LGBT' which is cool because it doesn't give 'priority' to any sexuality] that I go to and some people there started making comments like 'bi now, gay later' and other mildly biphobic comments in a sort of mildly joking way [they weren't actually directed at me, althouhg I've made occasional refereces to being bisexual when talking to ppl from the group in the past]. Later on, these sort of jokes started again and I mentioned tht I was bisexual and they apologised about it, they're quite cool people but it serves as an example of [even very mild] prejudices against bisexuals.
    Another interesting thing to note is that in a game of 'I have never' we all played later, some of the 'gay' blokes [some of whom had been joking about bisexuals earlier] revealed that they had slept with/given oral sex to etc.. members of the opposite sex in the past, yet they do not consider themselves to be even slightly bisexual. I mean, they have all had far more opposite sex activities than I have but I do not view myself as 'gay' as I don't exclusively feel attraction towards men [however, all of my past sexual contacts have been male]. Perhaps bisexuality is more prevalent than many people like to make out but that labelling yourself as bisexual may lead to prejudice so people may be reluctant to do so, also [as you mentioned in your post] internalised heterophobia/homophobia may have a part to play in it.
    Also, bi representation is a problem too. I mean, if only the bi flag, trans flag etc.... was as prominent as the rainbow flag then I'm sure there would be wider acceptance of bisexuality. Also, there is the problem of explanation because bisexuality (by its very nature) is far more 'complex' than heterosexuality/homosexuality and this often leads to misconceptions such as when I was trying to explain my bisexuality to a friend, she started going on about how she knew a "true bisexual" who had an equal number of male and female partners and then she compared me to this and tried to 'convince' me that I was gay. I could probably pass as 100% gay [all of my past sexual contacts are male] or I could quite easily pass as 100% straight [I never actually had any gay friends until I started university] but either of these would mean that I would have to hide and neglect part of myself.
    Another aspect of my bisexuality that is hard to explain is that I also notice that my sexuality seems to shift depending on my gender perception [I am a TV/CD] and I find that when I am feeling extremely 'masculine' [probably due to self-loathing from a CDing session] I tend to be much more homosexual. However, when I am feeling 'feminine' [quite rare, doesn't always occur when CDing] then I find myself becoming far more heterosexual in my attractions. Nevertheless, I am not exclusively homosexual/heterosexual in either scenario.

Just my

Izzfan
    "World out of balance
    World without end
    We are not afraid
    Let the night come..."

-Poppy Z. Brite

Well put! I suspect that those women who said "Yeah, I went through that phase, too – then I got honest with myself” are like my ex-wife. She was homophobic for many years, then decided she was bi, then (after only 1 experience and a few short months) decided she is lesbian. Situations like this get the publicity, which causes many people to think that is the "norm" for someone who claims to be bi (i.e. go from straight to bi to gay). It's amazing how many people have told me that their divorce was mainly because their ex-wife (or ex-husband) decided they were gay. This very thing is a large factor why my current wife doesn't want me to explore my bi-side further with any physical contact. I know this because she has told me she is afraid that I would do just like my ex-wife did & leave her to live as a gay man. I find it impossible to convince her that I enjoy women FAR TOO MUCH to give them up.
    "If you are bi, you double your chances for getting a date"
    One of my favorite non-bi sites:
    http://www.bbwlifestyle.com/index.php

Smile Re: My take on Biphobia

AubergineCow at first i was not going to read your post because of it's length.
    Im glad i did.Yup it's tuff to be BI.
    Ok so now my
    To be Bisexual is to be normal.
    If you love a person then love them.
    If a gay/les or hetro can only find happieness with a guy/girl or other{respectfully)then thats fine,who am i to judge.
    Ask any gay or lesbian if the ever had or wanted to be intimate with the opposite sex and im sure the answer will be yes.Have the hetrosexual people had same sex desires?Well i guess the same answer( of course this is if they are being honest with themselves.)So as I said Bi is normal
    Last edited by bigregory; Jan 10, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
    BIGREGORY
    BI and loving it

I think whatever YOU are is right...right for you...I hate the word normal-if we are all normal then no one is abnormal and "normal" loses any meaning. I just think we are all "right", good, fine, the way we should be. I think it is awful that bi's are not accepted for who they are by a lot of people.

But, I sometimes feel that way when people say everyone is bi. I am not in denial or lying to myself. I really don't think it is true that everyone is bi.

As for me, I am always brutally honest with myself...I am straight. I can't even imagine kissing a girl. A girl going down on me? Maybe-oral sex may just be oral sex whoever is giving it. But, doing that to a girl? Nope, doesn't do anything for me to fantasize about...and I have thought about it cuz my guy wanted a FMF, but it just doesn't do it for me...

I don't think I am wrong or untrue or unenlightened for being totally straight-and I don't think that someone is any of those things for being totally gay or totally bi.

I think a great world would be where everyone is accepted and not judged-whether you are homosexual, bisexual, straight, asexual or very fluid with your sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by mannysg
    I find it impossible to convince her that I enjoy women FAR TOO MUCH to give them up.
    That's how I am with men!

I know if I were to enter into a relationship with a woman that it would have to be polyamorous since the idea of being "cut off" from men isn't something I'd enjoy as I fall into love/infatuation with them, sometimes very easily.

I don't know if I would cheat or not; but I deffinatley wouldn't be happy.

I don't really like the idea of giving up women either but I know that I'd rather be in a closed/exclusive, or a predominantly exclusive relationship with a guy.

Nice Article AubergineCow. I hope you get it published.

sadly it has a lot to do with image... and bisexuals generally have the image of bed hoppers.....people that live to fuck both sexes........people that can't be faithful to their partner or have one on one relationships......lol

thats a image the bisexual community is giving itself by its own actions.... and like any community, most of the members get painted with the same brush... ...*sighs* but you look around bisexual.com and there are some of the most beautiful loving people in faithful exclusive relationships...and they are bisexual....

its a lil hard to imagine bisexuals as people that are faithful and exclusive, when our main call to fame is the fact we are attracted to both sexes.....

i have encountered biphobia from gay / lesbian people, and it has lead to some nasty words been spoken.....which annoys the hell outta me cos i am constantly defending them and fighting for their right to have the same basic human rights that i enjoy
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Various alternative communities are more or less accepting of bisexuals. It's a pretty wide range. We're each such a range and blending of genders that it makes my head spin to consider an individual whom was all female or all male attracted only to her/his polar opposite. That-all's a little sci-fi or purist for me. I think virtually everyone is like a moebius-strip of energies racing between male/female poles. Bisexuals express that sexually. Far out !

People who need to be 'elite,' always need someone to exclude. It really has nothing to do with gender. It's more like insensitive ignorance. Standing up to ignorance in a way that allows you to admire the person you look at in the mirror each morning is probably the best course here. I think you did that well, AubergineCow -- even after trying to be more chamelion-like for a while. It takes a lot more work than it's worth to pretend to be someone other than who you truly are.

Bisexuals certainly aren't the only group of people who encounter frequent prejudice these days, but as a bisexual it's surprising from which quarter it comes sometimes. 'Straights' see us as being too gay, and it seems the gay and lesbian communities reject us as being too 'straight.' Geeeeeeeez... Sort of reminds me of the old Confucian saying, "Man who sits in middle of road gets hit by trucks going each way." That's the trouble with being in the middle I guess. What can you do? Uncertainty, in terms of finding a reliable social role can be kind of angst-producing. Going to the extreme of pretending to be other than you are in order to find social acceptance, just isn't very healthy. Ostracization of course has its downside, heh, heh, heh -- but in pretending to be other than you are you lose track of yourself -- and that's the one who knows how to love.

Last edited by To_by; Jan 11, 2007 at 3:59 AM. Reason: Bob Newhart ???

Thank you all very much for your critiques, comments, thoughts, etc. I really appreciate them.

I just had a mild epiphany. That phrase "Yeah, I went through that phase, too – then I got honest with myself” is rather applicable to my own circumstance.

I thought I was hetero for the longest time. I even used to say "I'm so straight I have problems turning corners". That just *screams* denial, doesn't it?

So, I went through that phase where I thought I was hetero - then I got honest with myself and accepted that I am, proudly, bisexual.

One thing I'd like to mention about your article is that your anger comes through in your prose quite clearly. That could be why it wasn't accepted by those publications.
    Never be bullied into silence;
    Never let yourself be made a victim;
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define yourself.

Since I came out a few months ago I've been reading stuff like this. At first I was thinking that I had to be mistaken about what they were saying. Seeing it laid out like this though, it leaves no room for misinterpretation.

I guess I'll have a hard time of it when I come out to anyone but my family. Fortunately my immediate family is rather accepting of sexuality as my uncle is gay. I'll probably have a hard time with some of the extended family though.
    I hated my previous signature and am in a state of mind that would cause me to put up an angry sounding signature. So I wrote this one instead as a non-committal signature until I can think clearly.

What a great article! If yourself and Drew agree I think it should be put up. I'm not surprised the gay magazines didn't publish it as no turkey votes for Christmas. I honestly think the best thing the bi movement can do for itself is to completely cut itself off from the gay and les movements. Sad but true.

Aubergine,
    all i can say after reading this is "GOOD FOR YOU"
    Rich
    "To each monkey, it's own swing.." - old Latino Provberb