Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you out?

Are you out?

I'm just curious to know whether people on this forum are out, and who to.

Does it make a difference if you're male/female and the degree of your bisexuality e.g. are members who define themselves with a higher Kinsey score (I hate the system but for simplicity am using it here) more likely to be out i.e. the gays and lesbians amoungst us who are only incidentilly straight.

I am out to everyone and would say I am a Kinsey 5.

d

Re: Are you out?

I'm out to my husband, friends, close family members. (The part of family that doesn't know, are distant. Both in the geography sense and relationship sense. So I haven't hid it from them. They just don't know.)

I don't have a job right now, so there are no co-workers to speak of.

As for anybody else, I don't wear a sign around my neck saying I'm bisexual. But I don't hide it either. If the subject comes up, I'm honest.

I don't think my Kinsey rating has anything to do with it.At least to me. I forget what number I am. Maybe a 3. But I don't pay attention to it anyway. My sexuality is fluid. I go from being evenly bi to leaning more towards women and back again often. Whoever that knows I'm bisexual, knows because that is just part of who I am. I cannot, nor would I want to be anything else but me. The whole me

I also can't remember which Kinsey rating I am -- anyway, I lean towards women but enjoy sex with a man just as much, so go figure. And I'm out to my wife, my gay cousin, my therapist (doesn't count, I know) and to a former co-worker. Since you're curious.

I am out to anyone that pays attention and has the balls to ask. As for family, my mother felt she should tell everyone else in the family so she did. She outed me about a week after I told her. Since then everyone, family wise knows. As for others if they know, the type of things I like to do for fun should be able to figure it out.

RJ
    I always seem to be a foot and a half from where I want to be.

I am not out to anybody!
    Well, I am out to my present sex partner.
    I wanted sex so I had to tell him.

JEM
    JEM

I am out, like Fire Lotus, to those who "need to know."
    My husband, certainly; my sister (she was 1st) but not my Mum and not my children (girls 14 & 17) - tho the children thing is starting to be a work in progress.
    A number of close friends are aware as are the people I work with who need to know. (Certainly my Business partner: - she thinks its neat!!!)
    There are certainly other people who are aware, but i tend not to announce it, tho I won't ever deny if directly asked.

As far as Kinsey ratings go --- who gives a fiddler's???
    All i know is if i wasn't married and frantically in love with my husband, there would be little chance for another man in my life. I am very strongly veering towards female relationships.

I'm out to everyone.

Parents, friends, other family members, medical doctor, bosses/ex-bosses/co-workers, and I've talked about myself to people in bars too.

I don't go by the Kinsey scale at all since IMO it's pointless, outdated, and I have no idea how I'd rate myself on it as I don't see it as being something that you can personally rate yourself on.

What does being homosexual but "incidentally straight" mean?

Does that mean that a gay man wakes up and a woman is sucking his cock?

Generally, more out than in. Like about, oh, three quarters of the way through the "Hokey-Pokey" song, where legs and butt are out but head is still in - ha-ha.

I'm out to sister, but not mom or dad. out to bro-and sis-in-law, wife of course. most friends. even a few coworkers.

i've generally found the process of being out, or coming out, to be pretty benign for me. now, i'm still a pretty private guy - i don't wear a t-shirt that says "i love to suck dick and eat pussy" - but if asked, i don't deny it...

Unofficial Community Leader

I'm "out" with some of my friends and "in" with others. Well, perhaps not really "in", its just not something I usually discuss with some of them. Most casual acquaintances and colleagues are kept in the dark (unless they guess for themselves). My parents are pretty certain that I'm not 100% straight, but they don't know exactly where my preferences lie, and tbh, nor do I.
    "I used to be influenced by peer pressure, but my friends talked me out of it."

I'm only out with my one ex girlfriend who is also my best friend. She is proud of me for exploring my sexuality. I probably won't tell my family, because I know they wouldn't understand.

I'm out to who ever asks but i would want to tell everyone and just be open about it. it all depends how the person im telling is. I wouldn't tell a born again christian who goes to church and thinks anything is a sin...but it all depends. im being a little more open as time goes on.

Smile Re: Are you out?

I am out to my close friends, my sister and my mom and with anyone who I am intimate. It is not something I'm ashamed of at all...but my sexuality is not everyone's business either. I have come to realize I am extremely blessed with having loving, accepting people in my life.

Last edited by FLapple; Aug 10, 2007 at 12:03 AM.

Azrael

To pretty much everyone. All my friends, and the few family members who "get it". Older I get, the more I grow apart from my family and find solace in my real family. My friends. All of you. I'm out at work. That helps. So on a day to day level I'm not in the closet, which a few years of made me hopelessly insane for a period.

Wink Re: Are you out?

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog
    I'm out to everyone.

Parents, friends, other family members, medical doctor, bosses/ex-bosses/co-workers, and I've talked about myself to people in bars too.

I don't go by the Kinsey scale at all since IMO it's pointless, outdated, and I have no idea how I'd rate myself on it as I don't see it as being something that you can personally rate yourself on.

What does being homosexual but "incidentally straight" mean?

Does that mean that a gay man wakes up and a woman is sucking his cock?
    I know i hated the kinsey rating, and as i said i was using it for simplicity but mainly I was trying to assertain whether the people who had more straight sex were in any way less out, or bisexuality seen as more of a taboo than for those who mainly engaged in gay sex.
    'incidentally straight/heterosexual' is the kinsey 5 definition. not mine.
    if you go on a gay forum like rainbownetwork.com you're generally more likely to find that gay people are out to everyone. I wanted to see how this compared in the bisexual community.

Thanks for your responses.
    as always i learn something everyday from you guys
    d
    "I like the pole & the hole."

I dont like to get into the topic with people I dont know. I'm not really out i have said to a few people kind of vaguely that i wasnt completely straight. Thing is when the topic is brought up I dont really want to go into it cus then i feel i need to explain it lol. Right now im like 98% straight and 2% gay and the only reason I leave the 2 % is there are times in the past where I did meet guys that I developed loving feelings for. The relationships didnt go far, but figured better not to limit myself. I have no problem making out with a guy i get to know a lot. Anal right now is a no go as well as sucking dick.
    Last edited by miamiuu; Aug 10, 2007 at 3:21 AM.

I am out to any one who knows me well enough to be called a friend.

You need not be out to any one other than your play mates and lovers.
    It is your life, your choice.

I demand respect for my journey, but I offer submission to the worthy.

With two of my friends yes, everyone else no. I am out to those who I know will accept me for who I am.
    Proud of who I am.

I am only "out" to my current play partners. On this subject I operate on a "need to know" basis.

I live in a small, conservative town in the bible belt. As a result of my work I am rather visible in the community. So, to prevent unecessary problems I only tell of my orientation to those who need to know.

Perhaps someday society will get to the point where one's sexuality will have as much importance as one's eye color - but I don't look for that to happen in my lifetime. There is a rather sizeable (for the population) bi/gay/swinger community in my area, but it flies very much under the radar.

Wink Re: Are you out?

I am out to people I am close to in my family except my grandmother who I fear would have a heart attack. I will tell her though if I commit myself to a serious relationship with a woman.
    I just about a month or two ago came out to most of my friends and posted it for the world to see on MySpace. I feel better now that I've came out and I've found out who my true friends are.
    When asked about it I am very open and honest even to those who I know do not agree/approve. This has been a gradual process for me to get here but I am here!
    I have went from Very Straight, to Bi and denial, to bi and committed on both sides but not telling anyone, to Bi and committed on one side and telling everyone! Now I just need to be sure the Bi part is still there because I find myself more and more attracted and interested in Women.. I love sex with a man.. But I think i've just been to hurt to want to pursue anything else with a man. I am currently married to a man. I know that it wont work though sadly after coming this far because I kinda just wanna be with a women committed and a guy once n a while. In anyway I owe it to myself and everyone involved to make sure this is the case and do what needs to be done.
    My little girls do not know they are 5 and 2. I think they are to young to realize though and I will work at not hiding it from them at the start so that they will grow up being slowly introduced and comfortable I hope. I in the same token don't want to influence their sexual orientation.. but I am their mom.. so I don't know thats a hard one for me..
    Lately I am more towards women, but more than circumstansually Straight.

I'm out to my husband and kids. I'm out to my friends and I'm openly bi if asked. But due to a series of occurrences and just plain bad timing, I am not out to either of my parents. I'm also not out to my fundamentalist Christian half-sisters because I *really* don't want to put myself through that.

I'm a Kinsey 4.
    Never be bullied into silence;
    Never let yourself be made a victim;
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define yourself.

"Out" to wife and anyone I/we want to play with. Also to anyone who asks. I won't lie to anyone, even to a casual friend.

Yep out n proud don't care who knows don't care who asks what's the point in
    hiding something that anyone can already tell, due to the fact that I wear wrist
    bands of both gay pride and bi pride because I feel like it.

Totally in love. Sexxydiva23 and she's all mine.

I'm completely out. Even make a point of coming out to casual aquaintances and am trying to find bi-pride pins etc because I believe the more out we are the easier it is for others to come out as well. For what it's worth I'd say I'm a 3 or 4 on the Kinsey scale
    "The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool. " — Douglas Adams

Hey,

I am out to my girlfriend, my therapist and my boss. The whole thing has been a little problematic for me so I have been extremely lucky in that both my boss and my GF are very understanding. As for my family well, my folks are old school and I dont think they will take my bi-sexuality to well so I dont intend telling them. I will get around to telling my brother and sisters when the time is right.

I, like many of you feel that Kinsey doesnt allow for the fluidity that many of us subscribe to. I truly believe that using a Kinsey rating to describe one's self is merely placing ourselves in a little box (which society wants). We need to free ourselves from the 'kinsey' type ratings and remember that what we do behind closed doors (or infact public places :-) does not define who we are.

My 2,3 cents

Case
    I'll do what I want irresponsibly!!!!!

Am out to my wife, the men I have slept with and the people on this site. Like an earlier post, it is a need to know basis.
    Don't be afraid to try Bi!

Ive only told a few people I felt most comfortable with, and anyone else can guess!! I dont describe myself as Bisexual, but just sexual. I like some men and women,but not all.

I resently came out to about a dosen frends, befor that I was out to about 3 people. The girls I am out to think it is cool but I am not sher about the boys.
    My parents have some idea that I am bi but I am not going to tell them yet. My step-dads family are mosly orthodox jews so i am not teling them unles worst comes to worst.
    I dont rmber which # I am but im equal both ways
    o ya and any one who knows smoe of the anime i wach should beabel to tell (go yaoi!)
    Last edited by Mr chadw; Aug 15, 2007 at 5:31 PM.

audioslave, i completely agree, 'sexual' describes me a lot better than bi.
    and i'm attracted to very metro guys, and not the guys my straight girlfriends are attracted to, so what does that mean?

http://main.bisexual.com/forum/image...ool_shades.gif

funny thing is, i've tried to come out several times to my friends and family, and nobody believes me! just because i've dated a lot of guys in the past, and 'fell in love', they think it automatically excludes me from falling in love with a woman, or that its just a "phase" or reaction to a bad relationship.

Ive only told a few people I felt most comfortable with, and anyone else can guess!! I dont describe myself as Bisexual, but just sexual. I like some men and women,but not all.

Hey,

I am pretty new here, I think it is my 1st post in a long while. But I am not out to anyone yet except my current sex partner. The subject has never really come up but I honestly don't think I would tell anyone unless I really trusted them. Not yet anyways. One day I hope to be brave enough and have the great feeling of being completely transparent about who I am. I admire people capable of that. It takes courage!

I'm not sure of my Kinsey rating but I also feel like it depends on the day. I can go from equally both ways to leaning allot more towards women. Depends on my mood I guess!

-Nicole

I'm out only to my husband and three closest friends. Discretion is the game because my husband is a youth minister, and my "sins" could potentially cost him his job.

He loves me and lets me have girlfriends on the side, but I would like to be completely out of the closet. Unfortunately, being a youth minister is what my husband loves, so I'm just gonna stay in the closet.

The scariest experience was coming out to my best friend, believe it or not. I knew she would accept me and not care, but it was just a topic that we had grazed and not really delved into. I told her this weekend, and it felt great to get it off my shoulders. I don't have feelings for her in that way, so we were able to talk very freely about my sexuality. I recommend coming out if possible.