Register

Thread: "wrong" threads

Exclamation "wrong" threads

There have been a few "questionable" threads on here recently... Instead of giving them the light of day, and satisfying their needs-why not ignore them and let them drop into the mire of oblivion?

Just my

Re: "wrong" threads

cos some people find them worth posting in ?????

its the same principal as why do people go thru the rubbish at the rubbish dump..... cos one persons rubbish is another persons treasure...
    The only thing more painful than a broken heart, is catching yourself in your zip and having very cold hands

Some do enjoy and prefer to snark upon the obvious. It's only human nature. Ta, off to be less human today.

I did post a few comments on some of those threads--one to be kinda smart assed, but yet true--the other that I highly suspect the person putting those threads up is one of our "trolls" putting up trash on here again.
    "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere..." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

And I thought Trolls were Norwegian... Have the scandinavians invaded again lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadmax View Post
    There have been a few "questionable" threads on here recently... Instead of giving them the light of day, and satisfying their needs-why not ignore them and let them drop into the mire of oblivion? Just my
    Ignoring a questionable thread is, I suppose, a reasonably satisfactory strategy but it also cedes the channel to those who would use it to convey an unacceptable message. The reasonable person then stands silent while only the nefarious are heard. A thread can rise to a level of such obnoxiousness that the twit who created it should be called out and cuffed on the ear.

I think the reason this subject resonates with me is because the image of LBGTs has been largely defined by flakes, extremists, and other nuts who, frankly, do not and should not be given the soapbox to represent this community. Legitimate messages and less threatening characterizations are lost. Two important issues facing LBGTs today are the matters of marriage and serving in the armed forces. Who was the most recent spokesperson on behalf of LBGTs? Lady Gaga. Well hell, no wonder mainstream middle-of-the-road folks are suspicious of The Gay Agenda when its advocate is someone who hangs pork chops around her neck. Silly? Sure. Did she persuade a skeptical audience? Absolutely not. In fact, I would argue that she continued to confirm the impression that gay rights are the inconsequential concern of a flamboyant but not-to-be-taken-seriously subset of the American left-wing entertainment set, and a few butchers.

So, thanks for pork chop.

As lamentable as Lady Gaga, Perez Hilton, and Dan Savage may be, they don't descend to the level of everyday prurience. For that, we have creepy threads about molesting others in adult bookstores. I'll be the first to acknowledge that every group has its latrine beetles, and for the most part--yes--the best approach is to ignore them. On the other hand, as a bisexual I grow weary of my public sexual orientation being defined as a molester or a promiscuous sex clubber or a guy who lurks in parks. No.

Aww geez, speaking of soapboxes, I gotta go because mine just tipped over.
    Last edited by abstruse_ric; Jan 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
    I have a bad feeling that whenever a lesbian looks at me they think "That's why I'm not a heterosexual." -- George Costanza

There is nothing wrong with Lady GaGa! As far as her bisexuality, I think that she has admitted it but refrained from going into details so far? In one interview, she even blushed when the topic was pushed and gave a demure indication that she didn't want to expand on it. I didn't get the impression that she wanted to be a spokesperson for bisexuality but have it acknowledged..that's it.
    As an artist, I understand and appreciate her performance art (the steak dress thing has been done by artists before btw..sorry if it didn't get to your part of ultra conservative conscientiousness abstruse_ric). GaGa is an artist musician. I'm sure that there are other more mainstream "jobs" where bisexuals have declared themself. Do you expect an artist to act like a minister or something?

Who gets to determine "creepy"?

If I have a say, I 'd vote for posters who create threads about cross dressing but I would never want to declare them creepy/wrong because I know that it is part of some guys' idea about their sexual preferences. I'd declare all thread about anal as creepy/wrong and degenerate if I was going by my own personal tastes. I don't have the right so why would you have the right to declare groping in an adult video store as creepy and go about starting threads about controlling the content on this site? If you go to such a place, I'm sure that you would know how to react if you didn't want the approach. I suspect that the poster intentionally used the word "molest" to sexually heighten things or maybe sensationalize? What about the bathhouse threads? Do you want them declared creepy? Neither are in my personal preferences and so I don't go to such places.

This is not a Sunday church service site and please don't attempt to place your ultra conservative attempts to control on to this site. You have the right to ignore the thread or comment on it. I guess that you may write that it is creepy to "you" as well. As far as I know, threads about pedophiles are not accepted but all other sexual topics are?
    Last edited by tenni; Jan 29, 2011 at 1:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenni View Post
    Who gets to determine "creepy"?

If I have a say, I 'd vote for posters who create threads about cross dressing but I would never want to declare them creepy/wrong because I know that it is part of some guys' idea about their sexual preferences. I'd declare all thread about anal as creepy/wrong and degenerate if I was going by my own personal tastes. I don't have the right so why would you have the right to declare groping in an adult video store as creepy and go about starting threads about controlling the content on this site? If you go to such a place, I'm sure that you would know how to react if you didn't want the approach. I suspect that the poster intentionally used the word "molest" to sexually heighten things or maybe sensationalize? What about the bathhouse threads? Do you want them declared creepy? Neither are in my personal preferences and so I don't go to such places.

This is not a Sunday church service site and please don't attempt to place your ultra conservative attempts to control on to this site. You have the right to ignore the thread or comment on it. I guess that you may write that it is creepy to "you" as well. As far as I know, threads about pedophiles are not accepted but all other sexual topics are?
    Good try. We're not talking about 'groping', Conservatism, or Sunday school, though I admire your attempt to deflect the focus from my point.

Who gets to say what's creepy? Um, I do. I do, along with everyone else who thinks that molestation falls far outside the boundaries of legally acceptable behavior and baseline common sense civility. I also get to say that the act is illegal, offensive, and predatory. I further get to say that this kind of tawdriness simply reinforces the mainstream notion that every gay or bisexual man is a latent sex offender. And finally, I get to say that if a guy wants to scurry around furtively touching another person's genitals without permission then I get to point my judgmental finger straight at his nose, and I would imagine that others might follow up by planting their fist in his teeth.

Look, this is actually part of a larger issue: the slow progress of gay rights in this country. You want to know why gay rights haven't advanced significantly? It's because, as a community, it expends its outrage poorly. The Stonewall riot occurred forty years ago. Forty years later and only now--and still not quite yet--are gays getting around to winning the military service issue. This should have been wrapped up in the Seventies after the Viet Nam war. Contrast that with what Blacks accomplished in the same period of time, from the 1930's to the 1970's. The Black community had no effective media power, no affluence, no inherited political apparatus, and yet among it's hard won federal and state rights it even managed to obtain a Constitutional amendment banning poll taxes in the face of well-organized opponents. Think of that, a Constitutional amendment.

Gays and bisexuals? We can't even manage to agree on something as clear as, "Yes, grabbing someone's cock without asking is wrong." More to the point, we can't even agree that it's permissible to condemn that. Instead, dull thinking and absurd political correctness have conspired to freeze gay rights and sexuality debates on the trivial and the profane.
    I have a bad feeling that whenever a lesbian looks at me they think "That's why I'm not a heterosexual." -- George Costanza

I really like questionable threads. They have so much high energy and make me aware of other ways that people enhance their lives. Even if I do not agree always agree with them, sometimes I find my view evolving to be more accepting of what they treasure enough to advocate as wonderful. Most of the ordinary threads can be extremely boring to read.
    So be judgemental if it makes you happy. But, I love being assulted with stuff outside my comfort zone. That is what I crave.
    JEM

Heres a thought. If the thread is questionable, or of no interest to you, how bout just scanning it, then ignoring it? Thats what most people do. Not everything thats posted on here is going to be of interest to Everybody, its the One persons trash theory, like our Fran mentioned. And if you think its too questionable, contact Drew. :}
    Its that easy.
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Void wanders by and starts hearing Lady GaGa in his skull. He goes on a psychotic rampage and destroys half the furniture in the room and crippling the other half, then brings out tons of jello and lobs it all over the place. "Uggggh Ga!" He then wanders off to listen to La Roux to relieve a hemorrhaging brain.

Quote Originally Posted by abstruse_ric View Post
    ...Look, this is actually part of a larger issue: the slow progress of gay rights in this country. You want to know why gay rights haven't advanced significantly? It's because, as a community, it expends its outrage poorly.
    Gays and bisexuals? We can't even manage to agree on something as clear as, "Yes, grabbing someone's cock without asking is wrong." More to the point, we can't even agree that it's permissible to condemn that. Instead, dull thinking and absurd political correctness have conspired to freeze gay rights and sexuality debates on the trivial and the profane
    Quote Originally Posted by abstruse_ric View Post
    Well, I do not live in your country and so your point is mute to me. We have same sex marriage and no abortion or prostitution laws at all. Women may legally walk down the street topless like men in the name of sexual equality here(but don't lol) I don't think that you can accurately state that Canadian GLBT are less outrageous but maybe Canadians generally are more outrageous than US people in your view?

Toronto and other cities have PRIDE parades as well. One US person asked me after the only PRIDE parade that I went to if the nude man standing on the street was going to be arrested after the parade. He was part of TNT(Totally Nude Toronto). I asked her where she was from as that attitude showed a narrowness of thinking that I didn't think was in the Toronto Gay Village. I told her no and that even smoking weed could be done but not too obvious and not until after dark. There is no way the police would arrest a nude man(shoes on) on Church street after the PRIDE parade. It really depends upon the society I guess.

So, you are probably correct but it may not be the gays and bisexuals who can not agree that are holding back your society. It may be a puritanical perspective of your general society? It may be flaws about equality that are in your constitution?..dunno..just a thought. Why be such prudes here?
    Last edited by tenni; Jan 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

I just don't even read a thread if the title is a bit off to me and I definitely wouldn't post in one if I was offended by it. Why give someone ammunition against me? If they know I'm offended it will be repeated again and again. We have an ignore feature on here, use it. Or use your own brain to mentally ignore threads and move on to what you actually want to see. I don't consider myself a prude or puritanical, I do consider myself a man of honor and humor.

Aidan