Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brokeback Mountain

I saw the previews of this movie this past Monday. Should be an interesting movie and I would enjoy very much seeing the reactions of the heterosexual community. Has anyone else seen the previews or know anything about it.

The tragic lovers in "Brokeback Mountain" are a couple of barely educated, itinerant ranch hands named Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar (played in the movie by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, respectively). They meet in the summer of 1963, when they're hired to split the job of keeping a large herd of sheep safe from predators on an isolated Wyoming mountainside. Nineteen and virtually friendless, they find unexpected pleasure in each other's company. Then one night, overwhelmed by hormones, whiskey and each other, they're surprised into a passion so powerful and fulfilling it feels like the best thing that ever happened to them and ever will. Increasingly dangerous but irresistible, their secret romance continues to claim them long after each has married and made a family.

Re: Brokenback Mountain

Sounds like it's worth a watch michael..

On the same topic, can someone name a few internationally known Bi/gay themed movies.. Ireland has a poor selection but I'm hoping to aquire a few online, though I only know about 1 or 2..

Thanks..

Damon

i have seen this advertised just once, and then that was it, i dont know if it ever made it to the theaters or not or what ever became of this movie
    it was on my "to see" list which is rare concidering i am not a movie person at all

m.in.heels&hose
    "No use in saying sorry! its something that i enjoy"
    as said by Ozzy Osbourne

Judge people by whats in their head, and NOT whats in their bed

Brokenback Mountain

If anyone wants to see the trailer go to:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/trailers

It looks like a great movie yet very emotional. Can't seem to find a release date for it though.

Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    A raw, powerful story of two young men, a Wyoming ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963 sheepherding in the harsh, high grasslands of contemporary Wyoming and form an unorthodox yet life-long bond--by turns ecstatic, bitter and conflicted.

Summary written by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana

The new film from Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee. An epic love story set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, Brokeback Mountain tells the story of two young men - a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy - who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7a7ac275b3.gif
    Hugs,
    Arana

Life is a strange thing...
    Just when you think you've learned how to use it, it's gone.....

Smile Re: Brokenback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Damon

On the same topic, can someone name a few internationally known Bi/gay themed movies.. Ireland has a poor selection but I'm hoping to aquire a few online, though I only know about 1 or 2..

Thanks..

Damon
    Look for a movie called "Prissilla:Queen of the desert" Its entertaining and has some good looking guys in it.
    Being bisexual doubles your chances for a date...

Codybear

Wow! What a powerful trailer! If this is a proper representation of the movie, audiences will have strong reactions (on many sides of this issue) to this story and the portral of its characters. It will likely have difficulty getting mainstream review. Fortunately, there are avant-garde theatres that will relish showing this film.

Thank you very much, Mike, for making this known and, Arana, thanks for posting the trailer.

Hugs,
    Red

Quote Originally Posted by codybear3
    Look for a movie called "Prissilla:Queen of the desert" Its entertaining and has some good looking guys in it.

I have the movie even b4 I knew I was Bi I loved this movie.. I think Guy Pearce was really fine in it..

The only other one I have is Boat Trip but after that I dont know about many others..

Any one else any suggestions: Mainstream Bi/Gay themed movies..

Thanks

Damon

Quote Originally Posted by Damon

Thanks..

Damon
    Damon have you seen My Own Private Idaho? I haven't seen it all the way through and it's been a long time since that was but it's suppose to be good.
    Here's info on it.

My Own Private Idaho (1991)
    Surreal character study focusing on the friendship between two male hustlers, Mike and Scott, in Portland, Oregon. They live on the streets, do drugs, and sell themselves to men and women. Mike (River Phoenix) is quiet, gay and suffers from narcolepsy. Abandoned as a child, he is obsessed with finding his long-lost mother. Scott (Keanu Reeves) is the rebellious son of a high-ranking family, who lives this life mostly to embarrass his father. Mike is in love with Scott, who still maintains he is straight and insists that his wild lifestyle on the streets is only temporary. Together, they embark on a quest to find Mike's mother, traveling from Portland to Idaho to Italy, with Scott picking up a beautiful girl along the way.
    Hugs,
    Arana

Ty for the info arana..

Maybe I'll bump into that one some day..

Looks like amazon is my best choice for Bi/Gay themed movies, some happy user has posted 30 or 40 of his favourites in a list there

I've only heard of one of them but hopefully I'll make the right choices picking new ones..

I checked out the trailer for Brokeback mountain.. I love those 2 guys!!

Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger rock!!

Damon

HELLO EVERYONE....

Well, I was just at the theater today and saw the trailer for this film and the release date is soon and will be nationwide, here in the U.S.....it will be interesting to see the reaction of the general public....

Here is a list of some Bi, gay, and Lesbian films.......

I have a membership at Netflix and all of their movies are great and listed as to points of interest....here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.netflix.com/

BETTER THAN CHOCOLATE

Scant hours before her uptight mother (Wendy Crewson) and brother move in with her, Maggie (Karyn Dwyer) meets the woman of her dreams (Christina Cox). Though Mom is oblivious to her daughter's sexual orientation, it's a tough thing to hide in close quarters. Meanwhile, Maggie's transgender friend (Peter Outerbridge) falls in love with the owner of the lesbian bookstore where Maggie works. Anne Wheeler directed this sexy romp about love and lust.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Drew (Aaron Orr) is a forest ranger who meets yuppie Mark (Matthew Montgomery) after he falls while rock climbing. Mark wakes up in the hospital with amnesia and sees that Drew has remained by his side since the accident. Drew offers to move in with Mark to help him out until he regains his memory, which propels the two men into a passionate affair. But things start to change as Mark's memory slowly returns. …

TWO GIRLS AND A GUY

Writer and director James Toback (Black and White) explores a contemporary love triangle in this comedy-drama. When two girls (Heather Graham and Natasha Gregson Wagner) find themselves waiting outside an apartment building, they come to realize they're there to meet the same guy (Robert Downey Jr.) -- who's been sleeping with them both! Armed with this knowledge, the girls break into the guy's apartment and prepare for the ambush.

THREE
    Tatlo ... Magkasalo

Talk about romantic entanglements! In this movie from the Philippines, Tito (TonTon Gutierrez) and Elsie (Rita Avila) are a couple, but they both have lovers on the side. Susan, Elsie's mistress, has cancer. And although Elsie is pregnant, she leaves Tito to care for Susan, but now Tito wants her back. Can she make a decision and stick to her choice for good?

LOST IN THE PERSHING POINT HOTEL (2000)

In Atlanta in the mid-1970s, a diminutive drag queen tries to find succor from the small-town religion that filled him with self-loathing. He meets Miss Make-Do, who teaches him the fun of reckless behavior and emotional management via getting higher than a kite. Stars Leslie Jordan (who also wrote the screenplay) and features a host of cameos from John Ritter, Marilu Henner, Kathy Kinney and others. Julia Jay Pierrepont III directs.

STRAIGHT MEN AND THE MEN WHO LOVE THEM (2004)

Jorge Ameer is just one of the directors who lends his singular talent to this collection of provocative international short films that explore the dizzyingly complex and often intimate relationships between gay and supposedly heterosexual men. Films from the United Kingdom, Brazil and Spain include "In the Name of the Father," "Space Two" ("Espacio Dos") and "Popcorn and Coke," which stars Matthew Leich.

This movie is one of my favorites....

HIS SECRET LIFE (2001)
    Le Fate Ignoranti

While recovering from the shock of her husband's death, an Italian woman (Margherita Buy) discovers that her husband had had a secret lover for the last 7 years. But she's even more surprised to discover that he and his lover (Stefano Accorsi) were part of an extended "family" of gays, transgenders and other social outcasts … a family she finds herself drifting toward as she overcomes the emotions of her husband's passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcouple2
    HELLO EVERYONE....

Well, I was just at the theater today and saw the trailer for this film and the release date is soon and will be nationwide, here in the U.S.....it will be interesting to see the reaction of the general public....
    That's very cool and thanks for letting everyone know about the other movies. Did you see it after A History of Violence also? What did you think of it?

Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Arana

Thanks ever so much for the movie info Dreamcouple2..

Really appreciate it..

Damon

Thank you all. I want to see some of these movies to get a better view, albeit fictional, of how the bi sexual world is. Like a lot of us mine is hidden except to my wife and all of you here.

Thanks,
    Michael
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

The highest reward for a person's effort is not what they get for it, but what they become by it

I saw another trailer for Brokeback Mountain on the weekend and I am starting to see reviews of it on the net too. It opens on Dec 9 I think (in North America at least). It looks like a very powerful movie.

It was shot (at least partially) here in Alberta, Canada - I remember reading in the local paper that Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger were in town for filming about a year ago. It looks like a beautiful movie too - it re-affirms for me why I moved here several years ago; for the clean air and the great outdoors. (oh, and hot cowboys too!)

The trailer I saw seems to suggest a strong bi theme with one or both of the characters having relationships with women in addition to the principle male-male relationship, so it will be very interesting to see how it plays out and how it is perceived by those who are gay, those who are straight and those who are bi.

I can't wait to see it.

- Drew

Before I watch the movie, I made sure I read the book. If you're tender hearted...be sure to take tissue. I highly advise that anyone interested in viewing the movie, read the book first. It is short, only 55 pages in length..and very moving.

Quote Originally Posted by kimba_n_hotrod
    Before I watch the movie, I made sure I read the book. If you're tender hearted...be sure to take tissue. I highly advise that anyone interested in viewing the movie, read the book first. It is short, only 55 pages in length..and very moving.
    I'm going to follow your suggestion Kimba and get the book. I better get some kleenex too I guess, since even though I have hair on my chest and broad shoulders, I cry like a baby at Disney movies even. Sigh.

- Drew

i saw the preview for brokeback mountain when i went to see rent. i can not wait to see this movie...it looks awesome...but will probably bring some tears

Thanks Drew for the update. I am hoping they show it in Montana.
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

The highest reward for a person's effort is not what they get for it, but what they become by it

Greetings all!

Hey, another thread that I feel comfortable I can talk confidantly about! Wow! Being a film buff myself, I like international movies and found a few international bi/gay films that I think you would find interesting:

1.) Before Night Falls - Javier Bardem plays a Cuban poet who is coping with his homosexuality during a time when gays were being persecuted by the government. Quite heart wrenching (from what I know of the film) and Johnny Depp has a hot scene in it (according to my girlfriend, a Depp fanatic).

2.) Gods and Monsters - Ian McKellen plays James Whale, the director of Frankenstein. It shows his last days (and his slipping sanity) while he tries to woo a younger man (played by Brendan Fraiser). It is a great movie and shows a very close relationship between two men.

3.) My Own Private Idaho - It isn't a "foreign" film but it is supposedly a legendary film (River Phoenix's best role) in the gay genre. He and Keanu Reeves play two male hustlers who slowly drift apart. It is an update of Henry IV.

4.) Bent - Gay Ian McKellen is at it again. This time, the story is set in WWII and how the Germans punished gay lovers. It is a celebration of love and identity during a terrible time in history.

I think these are some of the more celebrated, interesting, and emotionally deep films. Let me know if it's helped you at all.

Happy viewing!

DeSade

This is the movie I've been looking forward to most recently. It looks so understated and sincere.

Brokeback Mountain

FYI : This weeks Entertainment Weekly has Heath and Jake on the cover and an article about the movie. They are pushing this as a GAY movie even though the guys were married. There is also a review on it as well as some other bits on other movies of this nature.
    Hugs,
    Arana

Re: Brokeback Mountain

I had 3 gay guys tell me on Thanksgiving all about us bisexuals. They didn't know I am bi. So I can understand why this is being pushed as a gay movie. Like the guys told me, us bisexual men are really gay hiding behind a woman.
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

It make me nuts that so many gay men are just as prejudiced against bisexual folks as most heteros seem to be. Anyone who has spent anytime here in our chatroom knows better, but still so many gays want to insist that "you're one of us, you just won't accept it." Horseshit!
    I can't wait to see this movie, and how the reviewers deal with it. In cowboy country, this film is going to make many men squirm uncomfortably. The most virulent homophobes are often those least comfortable with their own sexual ambivalence, which they would never admit. They will probably wait for the video, rather than sit through it in a public place like a theatre, even in the dark, where their reactions might be observed by their neighbors.
    When are we going to learn not to let our conduct be determined by the (pre)judgements of others?
    For you film buffs who would like to see a vivid depiction of the destructiveness of such attitudes, and an actors' tour de force, see Audrey Hepburn and Shirley Maclaine in "The Children's Hour"

sailorashore

ROFL sailorashore, I am smack dab in the middle of "cowboy country." Hey give me a pinch of copenhagen before I suck you dick, lol.

Michael
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

It definitely looks like its going to be a powerful film. I'd definitely go to see it, not sure who I could get to come along with me.
    Ive seen the trailers a few times whilst at the cinema the reaction seems to be mixed so it will be interesting to see how popular it is.

Brokeback Mountain

For anyone that gets the LOGO channel they are running a 30 minute documentary on the making of the movie with interviews of the cast and crew. They even talked about how the media is over simplifying this movie by calling it "The Gay Cowboy" movie. It's won awards and praise in both Caan and Toronto film festivals. If you don't have the channel you can also look it up on the web at www.logoonline.com

Cheers!
    Hugs,
    Arana

Brokeback Mountain

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Brokeback Mountain," a gay Western about two ranch hands who share a summer of love and then conceal their ongoing affair, was picked as 2005's best film by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the group announced Saturday.

The movie, which stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, also earned director Ang Lee the critics' award for best director, and Ledger was the runner-up for the best actor's award.

"A History of Violence," a thriller starring Viggo Mortensen, was the runner up for best film, and its director, David Cronenberg, was runner up for the directing award.

The award for best actor went to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for his work in "Capote," which chronicled author Truman Capote as he pursued his true-crime book "In Cold Blood."

Vera Farmiga won the best actress award for portraying a wife and mother who falls deeper into drug addiction in "Down to the Bone." Judi Dench was the runner up for best actress for "Mrs. Henderson Presents."

In the best supporting actress category, Catherine Keener won the award for her work in "Capote,""Ballad of Jack and Rose, "The 40 Year old Virgin," and "The Interpreter." Amy Adams, who played a pregnant Southern waif captivated by her new sister-in-law from up north in "Junebug" was the runner up.

William Hurt won the best supporting actor award for "A History of Violence," while Frank Langella was runner up for his role in "Good Night, And Good Luck."

There was a tie for the best screenplay award between Dan Futterman for "Capote" and Noah Baumbach for the divorce tale "The Squid and the Whale."

The awards ceremony was scheduled for Jan. 17 in Los Angeles.

Other 2005 picks:

Foreign language film: "Cache."

Documentary/nonfiction film: "Grizzly Man."

Animation: "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

Music/score: "Howl's Moving Castle."

Cinematography: "Good Night, And Good Luck."

New generation: Terrence Howard, actor in "Hustle & Flow."

Career Achievement: actor Richard Widmark.

Independent/experimental: "La Commune (Paris, 1871)."

Special citations: Film critic Kevin Thomas for his contributions to film culture in Los Angeles; and David Shepard, Bruce Posner and the Anthology Film Archive to honor "Unseen Cinema", a DVD collection of avant-garde films from 1894-1941.
    Hugs,
    Arana

Has anyone heard when this movie is opening nationwide..not just on the East and West coasts?

Brokeback Mountain

According to the website http://www.brokebackmountain.com/home.html it's open now. I have yet to see it playing anywhere near me though. Has anyone seen it near them???
    Hugs,
    Arana

Brokeback Mountain

A few places I've found it playing at:

Carmike 7
    406-652-5211
    2255 Overland Ave., Billings, MT 59102 406-652-5211

Carmike Cine 7
    406-259-9783
    925 Broadwater Ave., Billings, MT 59101 406-259-9783

Carmike Wynnsong 10
    406-656-2041
    2456 Central Ave, Billings, MT 59102

Avalon Theatre
    503-238-1617
    3451 S.E. Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97214 503-238-1617

Bagdad Theatre
    3702 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97214

Century Eastport 16
    503-775-0000
    4040 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266 503-775-0000

Cine Magic Theatre
    503-231-7919
    2021 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97214 503-231-7919

Cinema 21
    503-223-4515
    616 NW 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97209 503-223-451

Clinton Street Theater
    503-238-8899
    2522 SE Clinton Street, Portland, OR 97202 503-238-8899

Hollywood Theatre
    503-281-4215
    4122 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR 97212 503-281-4215

Laurelhurst Theatre
    503-232-5511
    2735 E Burnside, Portland, OR 97714 503-232-5511

McMenamins Kennedy School Theatre
    503-225-5555
    5736 N.E. 33rd, Portland, OR 97211 503-225-5555

Mission Theatre
    1624 NW Glisan, Portland, OR 97209

Four Seasons Cinema
    716-297-1951
    2429 Military Road, Niagara Falls, NY 14304 716-297-1951

Regal Hollywood Stadium 12
    716-236-0077
    720 Builders Way, Niagara Falls, NY 14304

Ioka Theatre
    603-772-2222
    55 Water St., Exeter, NH 03833

AMC Mesa Grand 24
    602-956-4262
    1645 S. Stapley, Mesa, AZ 85204 602-956-4262

Closed-Harkins Poca Fiesta 4
    480-222-4275
    1020 W. Southern Avenue, Mesa, AZ 85210 480-222-4275

Harkins Fiesta 5
    602-222-4275
    1520 S. Longmore, Mesa, AZ 85202 602-222-4275

Harkins Superstition Springs 25
    480-641-4603
    6950 East Superstition Springs Boulevard, Mesa, AZ 85207 480-641-4603

Superstition Mall
    480-981-7272
    6555-1002 E. Southern Ave., Mesa, AZ 85206

Closed-Winfield Cinema
    316-221-4300
    1007 Main Street, Winfield, KS 67156

Regal Medina Stadium 16 @ Huntington Street
    330-723-4416
    200 West Reagan Pkwy, Medina, OH 44256

Carmike Cole Square 3
    307-778-4197
    517 Cole Shopping Ctr, Cheyenne, WY 82009 307-778-4197

Carmike Frontier 9
    307-634-9499
    1400 Del Range Blvd, Cheyenne, WY 82009
    Hugs,
    Arana