Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexuality Test

Flexuality Test

I am a psychiatrist who has been studying and teaching sexuality for more than a decade. I've created a new blog with information about sexual flexibility. I'm trying to undermine the idea that gay and straight are the predominant and natural categories.

I have also created a Flexuality Test which you can take anonymously. There are 200 questions, it takes 10-15 minutes to complete, and the results are a sexual profile and overall flexuality score. Connect to the site to read more about it.

I hope you will take the test and tell your friends about it! Please e-mail me if you have questions or suggestions.

Thanks!

Re: Flexuality Test

that was interesting, ill wait with abated breath to see my results ;D

Warning: a serious researcher doesn't start out trying to undermine any idea. They collect evidence in an unbiased way, and then see if the evidence supports a hypothesis or rebuts it. This sounds like a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieknyc View Post
    Warning: a serious researcher doesn't start out trying to undermine any idea. They collect evidence in an unbiased way, and then see if the evidence supports a hypothesis or rebuts it. This sounds like a scam.
    I agree with you Jamie. One who tries to sound accredited. would not hide those credentials to further their research. In fact if they felt they would create a Ah ha! in the scientific field. Would have their name plastered all over it. Even if it failed.

We have had others who were genuinely after people's perceptions for research. Post their resume's and speak to the site owner to be deemed legitimate.

Take at your own risk everyone and the risk of your IP addresses.

i agree with jamie but the site does not ask for personal information and only asks you to enter any random code you wish (that hasn't been taken) so you mahy see your results next to said code once their posted
    you don't even have to give them your email unless you wish to

not much room on the scamming level
    my computer did not come under attack while on the site either

Can you say SPAM, Boys and Girls? lol
    Cat
    I'm tryin' my best to leave a loving foot print on the hearts of the folks who's lives I touch..longly, or briefly..:}
    Minx

Women and cats will do as they please, so men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    Robert A. Heinlein

jamie: people come to this website every day and write the most disgusting/argumentative/inflammatory crap and you feel the need to slam this guy because he posted a polite enquiry? What was it in his posting that made you feel so threatened by the simple request to take a test? If you don't like it, just don't take the test.

The blog content is well written, there are no ! points, no inflammatory language, the UI is nice and clean. The author SAID if you have any questions/comments, contact him. If you insist on his credentials, then ask him to provide them to you.

ray: your IP is safe if you use a firewall and/or a router.

Spam refers to advertising a product...like the woman who was trying to sell purses here (ie soliciting here without Drew's permission).

A scam refers to attempts to obtain money by means of deception.

I see neither of those in the message.
    "To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage." -Lao Tzu

Coastocoast

Spam Test

Sounds like it could be collecting personal info if you need to leave an email to get the results. That might be used to spam you so be careful. Note the face the individual just joined and it is the only post? I have gotten hit with email volleys for "dating" sites doing this type of survey so be careful if they ask personal info like email address to send you results with.
    Last edited by Coastocoast; Jul 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM.

From what I saw, he posts your results every other week and lists the user name that you used. You do not need to give an email address although if you do the person states that you will get your results faster.

It is possible that he has come to this site to see how close posters on this site matches his list of categories based upon the questions that he has created. He may have already completed his study and is simply confirming the results of his study with posters' self perceptions.

hell, he could be..... fill in the blank; take or dont take the test! nothing more or less than any other website has asked! gave him another moniker of mind, i'll check it in couple of days, it will say the same thing all the others have said, including the ones taken within a medical setting, etc.

as to spam or whatever, i let my security handle the scamsters, spammers, cyber-nazis, etc.

whew, what is it tonight, me or just some of the posters, relax and have something soothing, your choice!
    get in! sit down! hold on! and shut up!

Thanks to those of you who checked out the web site and/or took the test. I will analyze and post the results within a few days.

I should clarify that this is not for research purposes. I am a psychiatrist, and I have done research, but the test is for the benefit of those who take it and who might find it interesting or informative. I do not ask for any personal identifying information, though you can submit an e-mail address if you wish.

Thanks also to the feedback regarding the content. I've come to this site precisely because I thought it would be a good place to find men and women who would be interested in the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexuality MD View Post
    Thanks to those of you who checked out the web site and/or took the test. I will analyze and post the results within a few days.

I should clarify that this is not for research purposes. I am a psychiatrist, and I have done research, but the test is for the benefit of those who take it and who might find it interesting or informative. I do not ask for any personal identifying information, though you can submit an e-mail address if you wish.

Thanks also to the feedback regarding the content. I've come to this site precisely because I thought it would be a good place to find men and women who would be interested in the topic.
    I'll be interested to see my results

But You may be missing something in not asking about sexual fetishes

Which I think for some of us - may be just as important as the gender of other people we have sex with

Fantastic test. The nature of the questions suggests a good understanding of the some of the issues.

I have taken every quiz i can find. This is the most in depth I have done and I look forward to the results.

I think that any tool/system that promotes the concept that hetrosexual and homosexual and are two ends of a broad spectrum of sexual orientations and raises awareness of the middle ground is fantastic. Well done.

Whether a scam or not, the reservations expressed above are certainly valid.

Tried it. The 'test' is not well constructed.

One cannot have a graded opinion on whether there is a Law or not. Either there is or there isn't. The question might be better framed as "I believe that I am familiar with laws applying to matters of sex in the area that I live in". Similarly, one either has or has not got a friend who is homosexual. etc

This may be good for mild amusement if one has the perseverence to wade through it.

Last edited by Hephaestion; Jul 23, 2010 at 2:52 AM.

Bikiniman, thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to let everyone know that I've revised the scoring protocol for my Flex Test, after seeing the trends in the first 500 who took the test. I've rescored everyone's profile and posted the results, in case you're interested. (If you entered an email address as your code, I have emailed you the updated results.) You can go to the post that I've linked below (which also describes the scoring changes) and then find your results by looking at the alpha-numeric listing in the archives to the right (in the September archives).

http://mysextest.blogspot.com/2010/0...t-results.html

I've also posted many charts of the results (for both sexual types and overall flexuality score), so you can see how you compare to others.

Keep in mind that this test is seriously conceived but is for self-help and advocacy purposes and not for scientific research.

That was interesting. Thanks for posting it!
    In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice.
    The Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_The_Rhymer View Post
    That was interesting. Thanks for posting it!
    Agreed. I enjoyed it. Some questions do need to be reformulated, though. Like the one below:

I sometimes wonder what it would feel like to be sexually pleasured by someone of my gender.

That statement assumes you haven't yet engaged in homosexual acts. How do you answer it if you have already done homo stuff?

First time post here:

To me, this test will fall to nothing short of being answered according to our ideals (I asserted as much in one of the questions asked). I find measurements of human sexuality very vague and hard to trust as there hasn't been great genetic findings in any of it, whereas behavior studies have been conducted repeatedly. I think, however, one could make correlations in terms of how men who are bisexual and then assume gay identities or vice-versa assuming heterosexual ones (and perhaps flipflopping again into bi and gay and rinse and repeat), and with those results it could be very rich for certain studies.

In any case, it was a very nice time sink that listed many valid questions a lot of bisexual men and women confront in themselves and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianDream View Post
    . . .
    But You may be missing something in not asking about sexual fetishes

Which I think for some of us - may be just as important as the gender of other people we have sex with
    I agree. Overall, it's still a valuable contribution to this field. It would probably be rather complicated to include that aspect in a way that satisfied everyone.

Unrelated to this, this is my first day here and I was surprised to see all the skepticism at the beginning of the thread. I suppose it pays to be safe these days, but... wow.

Warning: a serious researcher doesn't start out trying to undermine any idea. They collect evidence in an unbiased way, and then see if the evidence supports a hypothesis or rebuts it.
    Hey, at least this researcher is up-front about his agenda. Most of them just pretend not to have one.
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

this is my first day here

Quote Originally Posted by ejmichaels View Post
    this is my first day here
    Welcome!
    Cheers
    Atiq

.................................................. .................................................. ........
    I'll decide between men and women the day you decide between food and oxygen.

Thanks for the additional input. I've scored results for any of you who took the test yesterday.

Fred, you're right: I tried to word questions so that they would be equally relevant to a male or female, gay or straight, test-taker. But sometimes I erred on the side of wording the question so it would elicit information about the flexibility of someone who otherwise considers him/herself "straight" (that being 90% of the population). If the test-taker has already had same-sex experiences, then those questions might be confusing to answer, but also of less importance overall in the scoring.

Thanks again everyone for trying the test. I'm glad to see from the responses that most of you found it fun and interesting. Please pass it on to your friends (especially those who think of themselves as straight: it might change their minds).

To those of you who have taken my Flex Test, I hope you'll take a few seconds to re-visit the site and take the one-question poll in the right hand column to give me some feedback about your profile. Was it on-target or off-base?

While there, you can also see some of the results to specific questions, and overall test results for those who have taken the test so far. Also, I've nearly finished posting more detailed descriptions of each of the dozen sexual types in my main blog: flexuality.info.

Interesting quiz and website. I think its an excellent tool for people to learn more about themselves and their sexuality. Thank you.

JUst took the test. Very interesting indeed. Excited to see the results.

Took the quiz unafraid of being scammed. Nothing shocking. Made me realize that although I am generally painfully unarroused by men kissing, in the right circumstances I'd be open to it.

I'm all about oral.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Talking Re: Flexuality Test

So I had my results emailed to me. It was very accurate. I still think its a fantastic tool/website for understanding the different levels of sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by SodomandGomorrahShow View Post
    Out of the 12 categories 6 of them are all other terms for being bisexual.

If you were doing actual research, really a psychiatrist/psychologist, or even a grad student you would not be anynonomous and you would show your credentials and tell everyone who you are.

I found both parts of the quiz to be a joke and the quiz does not accurately show my sexuality.
    I have to agree. What professional wouldn't be including their credentials?

SandGShow, thanks for trying the test and giving feedback.

Just to clarify again, I am NOT conducting research. The test is for self-help and advocacy. Take it only if you are interested; I am not looking for subjects. I have conducted research, and you are correct in pointing out that a whole different protocol would be involved. This is not research.

Yes, many of the terms I propose are variations on bisexuality. The problem is that few people want to apply the term bisexual to themselves, because they assume it is a natural type that equates with equal affection/desire for both men and women. And that is not a very useful concept for most people who have sex with both men and women (though it certainly applies to some). I offer several alternative categories that are based on the research out there about patterns of sexual desire and behavior in the real world.