Register

Bi touring

1. shyjim99
    shyjim99
    Hi all,

I just bought a new Harley Sportster Super Low and set it up for touring. I know I'm going to hear a lot of you say that you can't tour with a Sportster but I made a lot of suspension modifications and added a comfortable seat, saddle bags, luggage rack,GPS,and windshield. The bike is sweet and fits me like a glove.
    I'm planning on taking a 1 or 2 week tour through Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina in the last two weeks of September or 1st 2 weeks of October.
    My question is, can anyone advise me on where to go, where to stay, and what to see and what are the best scenic roads for biking. I'll be starting my tour from southern Delaware probably going over the Bay bridge towards Annapolis. It would be great to meet up with like minded fellow Bi bikers and couples in the areas mentioned to join up and "ride" together.

Looking forward to talking to and meeting some of you.
  2. Doggie_Wood
    Doggie_Wood
    You can't tour on a Sporty! LOL - whatever flips yer switch - good luck and ride safe!
  3. SC24FUN
    SC24FUN
    Good luck with touring on a Sporty. I've never done it but at least you get to stop every 45 min for gas.

As for roads there are so many hard to list. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a big one. If you make it far enough south the Wheels through Time Museum is not to be missed.
  4. shyjim99
    shyjim99
    I have a 2011 SuperLow converted to a 1250 which is equipped with a 4.5 gallon tank and gets 45 miles per gallon which gives me theoretically 202 miles per tank. I changed out the front fork springs with Progressive springs and changed the rear shocks to Progressive 412 shocks. Bike rides like a Cadillac. I changed out the seat to a Mustang Wide solo with a backrest which makes for a more comfy ride. I also installed highway pegs to the engine guard for a more relaxed stretched out leg position. I'm an old timer who has ridden many many miles on 70's vintage Jap bikes and can honestly say the Sportster is a dream compared to them. When you see a blur going by you on a steep hill where your heavy couch tourers cough and stumble, that was me. All kidding aside, the bike fits me and the way I have it set up I don't think I'll have any trouble touring with it. Just need to find a partner who wants to explore the Bi-Ways together.
  5. OralGiver
    OralGiver
    good luck on your trip........and nothing wrong with a sportester........a bike is a bike,,,,,
  6. shyjim99
    shyjim99
    Thanks for the kind response. For some reason, there is a stigma against Sportsters that originates from the Big Twin Harley guys. The Sportster is lighter, faster from the start, can maneuver better than the big twin Harley's and is very economical. Perhaps it's penis envy. Isn't there a saying,"the bigger the bike, the smaller the cock"?

I have decided to wait a week to let the hurricane finish it's wrath and then I'm heading out to Virginia via Maryland.
  7. Daviecurious
    Daviecurious
    Your bike, you can certainly tour on it. I happened to chat w/a guy once who toured on a V-Max, not my first choice. Anyway, before a long trip I try to start exercising/stretching 3-4 weeks before leaving, then stop every 75mi or so to walk around, pee, drink water, ect. Get gas every other stop. Have fun, be safe ....
  8. shyjim99
    shyjim99
    Your advice is much appreciated. I exercise daily so I think I'm in pretty good shape. I'm also an avid bike rider and agree, hydration is very important. I have been taking my Sporty on longer and longer day trips trying to extend my range and discover my physical limits. So far 250 mile trips have been the norm and I have no complaints. Bike rides really good and I am averaging 50 mpg. Looking to head out sometime next week and can't wait to get started. Would be nice to have a riding partner but I also relish the time away by myself to help clear the cobwebs in the head.
  9. Daviecurious
    Daviecurious
    Let me know if you get west of Asheville, NC. Lots of great roads, Wheels Through Time, the Dragon, ect. Tho I don't ride the Dragon on weekends; too crazy. The ride there is worthwhile, and always fun to look at bikes in the parking lot and talk to folks .....
  10. SC24FUN
    SC24FUN
    Have a safe trip. Let us know how it went when you get back.
  11. rabbit16
    rabbit16
    Nothing wrong with a sprorty. I have a 97. Be thankful you don't have a hard mount engine as they tend to drop parts sometimes. On our 750 mile one way trip to Sturgis my brothers bike would always break something. Mine has had a few things as well likek exhaust pipe nuts, battery bolts, gauge holder, plenty of lights, etc. But I haven't had to be trailered yet in 20K miles. Nothing wrong with a Sporty. But I do have to say the riding position and the backrest on my 93 springer is more comfortable. Sportster is a great town bike and capable touring bike. Up to the individual if it is a comfortable touring bike.
  12. larrywilldo
    larrywilldo
    There is a great website for motorcycle camping at:

http://www.motocampers.com/

One can tour on any motorcycle that has a passenger seat. He has saddlebags... he can also pack and stack on the rear seat.

The Sportster is not even close to anything I would choose to tour on. I currently ride a 94, 1500 Goldwing, a 2005 600cc Honda Silverwing and an 01 Drifter. All of my bikes are setup to pull a small cargo trailer and I now camp on all of my trips. I used to motel / restaurant but there is nothing better than meeting good folks in a campground.