PDA

View Full Version : The monosexual privilege checklist, by Shiri Eisner

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 8:52 AM
cross-posted from http://radicalbi.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/the-monosexual-privilege-checklist/

I was translating/editing the male privilege checklist (link in Hebrew) a couple of days ago, when it occurred to me that I have never seen a monosexual privilege checklist. Indeed, I’ve never heard the term spoken or referred to before. Despite the fact that many privilege lists exist for many groups, it appears that the idea that monosexuals enjoy privilege is relatively new as well as foreign to queer and bisexual political thought. More often than not, when the word “privilege” arises in relation to bisexuality or bisexual people, it is coupled with “heterosexual” and with the claim that bisexuals “enjoy heterosexual privilege” (here’s a helpful hint with that: we’re not, in fact, heterosexual). And so I thought it might be time to try to unpack some of these notions and compile a monosexual privilege checklist. The significance of such a list, as I see it, would be to highlight the way in which bisexuals experience oppression, seeing as this is a much-denied and much-erased topic. In fact, there are many things that monosexual people can take for granted in their lives and which bisexuals can’t. I hope this list would be of help to monosexual people in understanding their privileges and becoming better allies to bisexuals, as well as helping bisexuals understand our own (often transparent) oppression. I also hope this list could serve as a starting point for deeper discussion on biphobia as a system (rather than a series of personal mistreatments), within the bisexual movement and the queer movement in general.

A note on terminology:

I am aware of the problematics of using a binary structure such as monosexual/bisexual, however I allow myself to use it as a political and analytical tool in order to expose unequal power relations in a society which already operates under this binary. In addition, it is no less binary to speak about monosexual/bisexual than is it to speak about cisgender/transgender, male/female, white/black or straight/queer . The fact that only the bisexual movement finds itself facing the ubiquitous binary accusation (and so often) for making arguments so closely similar to those of other movements, is suspicious to say the least.

I use the term “bisexual” as an umbrella-word, including anyone attracted to people of more than one gender, who identifies as bisexual, pansexual, fluid, queer, heteroflexible, homoflexible, or any other bi-spectrum identity, and who considers themselves part of the bisexual movement/community.

I define “monosexual” as any person attracted to people of no more than one gender and who identifies as such (including heterosexuals, gays and lesbians).

I define “privilege” as something society awards some and withholds from others. (With thanks to Cas.)

The obligatory disclaimer says:

By compiling a list of monosexual privilege, I do not mean to suggest that all monosexuals are the same, nor do I mean to suggest that they enjoy nothing but privilege. Power inequalities exist all over the social map, and monosexuals are just as likely as anyone to be on the bad end of one of them. Some of the points described are naturally ones shared by people of other marginalized groups – people experience similar forms of privilege or oppression through different identities, and the list isn’t meant to be strictly exclusive. And of course, this list would be more accurate the more privileges the person in question enjoys (and in particular: males, white people, heterosexuals, cisgenders, etc.). In addition, I do not mean to imply that all bisexuals are oppressed and enjoy no privileges – many bisexual people belong to other groups which do enjoy privilege. As in any field in life – stuff is complicated and multifaceted. We are all oppressors and we are all oppressed – and we must all deal both with our oppression and our privileges. Please take this as an opportunity.

This list includes some ideas that I picked up from the male privilege checklist, the white privilege checklist, the heterosexual privilege checklist and these two cisgender* privilege checklists. Read them.

Being able to write a list of privileges is not transparent for me: many privileges benefited me while writing it. I am a Jewish citizen of Israel (and thus have access to many civil rights and privileges denied from Palestinians); I am an English speaker; I am a university graduate; I have (had) access to academic and political writings about bisexuality and queer theory/politics; I have an internet connection, computer access and the technical skills required to operate a computer; though I am not able-bodied, I am able to use my hands for typing and my eyes for reading (albeit with the help of glasses). These are all privileges which I can think about that enabled me to write this post (there are probably alot more). As you read the list, please consider your own privileges in light of this paragraph and of the list itself.

This list is far from being exhaustive. I urge you to respond and add more – I will edit the list and add the relevant ones.
The monosexual privilege checklist

1. Society assures me that my sexual identity is real and that people like me exist.
2. When disclosing my sexual identity to others, they believe it without requiring me to prove it.
3. I can feel sure that upon disclosing my sexual identity, people accept that it’s my real/actual sexual identity (rather than anything other than I said).
4. I am never considered closeted when disclosing my sexual identity.
5. Perception/acceptance of my sexual identity is generally independent of my choices of relationships, partners and lifestyle.
6. It is unlikely that disclosing my sexual identity will be taken as a sexual offer or a sign of sexual consent.
7. I can be confident that people don’t misname my sexual identity or use different identities to describe my identity when speaking about me.
8. When seen with a partner I’m dating, I can be certain to be recognized as a member of my sexual identity group.
9. I never have to worry about successfully passing as a member of my sexual identity group or as a member of my community.
10. I do not have to choose between either invisibility (“passing”) or being consistently “othered” and/or tokenized based on my sexual identity.
11. I am never blamed for upholding heteropatriarchy** or cisgender privilege because of the word that I use to identify my sexuality.
12. My politics are not questioned based on the the word that I use to identify my sexuality.
13. I feel welcomed at appropriate services or events that are segregated by sexual identity (such as “general” i.e. straight clinics, gay community centers, lesbian-only events, etc.)
14. If I’m cisgender, I am accepted and celebrated as a part of “queer” space or movement. If I’m an ally, I am applauded for my support of the queer movement.
15. If I’m cisgender, queer or gay people will not try to exclude me from our movements in order to gain political legitimacy for themselves. I am never accused of “giving the movement a bad name” or of “exploiting” the movement.
16. I can feel sure that if I choose to enter a monogamous relationship, my friends, community or my partner will continue to accept my sexual identity, without expecting or pressuring me to change it.
17. I needn’t worry about potential partners shifting instantly from amorous to disdain, humiliation or verbal violence because of my sexual identity.
18. I can cheat on my partners or act badly in a relationship without having other people put this down to my sexual identity or have my behaviour reflect badly on all the people in my sexual identity group.
19. I can choose to be in a polyamorous relationship without being accused of reinforcing stereotypes against my sexual identity group.
20. I can fairly easily find representations of people of my sexual identity group and my lifestyle in the media and the arts. I encounter such representations without needing to look hard.
21. If I encounter a fictional, historical or famous figure of my sexual identity, I can be sure that s/he will be named as such in the text or by the media, reviewers and audience.
22. I often encounter the word I use to identify myself in the media and the arts. When I hear or read it, I am far less likely to find it in the context of its denial.
23. I can find, fairly easily, reading material, institutions, media representations, etc. which give attention specifically to people of my sexual identity.
24. I can feel certain that normal everyday language will include my sexual identity (“straight and gay alike”, “gay and lesbian”, etc.)
25. If I am cisgender, I am far less likely to suffer from intimate violence.
26. If I am cisgender, I am less likely to suffer from depression or to contemplate suicide.
27. If I am cisgender, I am far less likely to suffer from poverty.
28. I am more likely to feel comfortable being open about my sexual identity at work.
29. I have access to information about the prevalence of STI’s in my community as well as prevention methods that are suitable for me.
30. If I live in a city, I can expect to find medical care that will suit my own particular needs.
31. I am less likely to risk my health by avoiding medical treatment.
32. Wronging me on grounds of my sexual identity or sexual behaviour is taken seriously:
* Those who wrong me are expected to know that it is hurtful, and are considered accountable whether or not they intended to wrong me.
* I have easy access to people who understand that this wrong is unacceptable, and who will support me.
* I have easy access to resources and people to educate someone who wronged me, if I am not feeling up to it.
* If I am being wronged, I can expect that others who are around will notice
33. When I express my sexual identity in my daily life, I can reasonably expect not to be considered unstable, unreliable, indecisive, untrustworthy or in need of help.
34. I can worry about issues specific to people of my sexual identity group without being seen as self-interested, self-seeking or divisive.
35. I can remain oblivious of the language, culture, history and politics of bisexuality and bisexual people without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
36. I have the privilege of not being aware of my privileges.

* Cisgender means any person who identifies as the gender they were assigned at birth, i.e. non-transgender or genderqueer.
** Heteropatriarchy means heterosexual male rule.

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 8:53 AM
My notes to Shiri:

Cross-posting to bisexual.com. Good, but I have a few caveats:
• That white-on-black is godawful hard to read. I'm not even trying anymore; just reading it as I paste it in to the new post.
• I disagree with point #6. G&L people have to deal with that whenever talking to people of the same gender, and any guy not obviously gay has to deal with it when talking to women -- you are generally assumed to be attracted to women and on the make.
• I think a few of the points overlap; list would carry more weight if it were more concise.
• If #20 really applies to us, it is our own ignorance to blame. Bi erasure/invisibility plays its role, to be sure, but there are enough famous bi people out there.
• I disagree with #29 and #30. Do we really have special needs in re STD education or health care?

Otherwise, very good. I very much like #34. Been getting accused of being divisive a lot lately!

tenni
Jul 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the list Notlost

I'm finding the list something that I need to ponder. I like the use of the word monosexual but I find my mind wondering if this list applies more to one group of monosexuals or both groups? I also wonder if these experiences apply to bisexuals who make their sexuality "out" and are more politically inclined than a lot of other bisexuals? Just something that I am pondering. I'm not sure how many on this site feel the loss of these privileges.

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 28, 2011, 1:10 PM
I've seen several references to the idea that if I'm out with my wife people assume I'm straight, or if I'm with a guy they assume I'm gay as "priviledge" for monosexuals and bad for me.

I guess I'm confused by this. Why wouldn't they assume this? Why would tbey assume I was bi? What social cues could possibly exist that would make them think other than gay/straight? A sign on my back? A star on my shirt? Perhaps I could wear an earing in both ears.

Being upset that someone can't tell my sexuality by looking at me isn't rational. Calling it mono priviledge is likewise irrational. Then again, I have always found the "priviledge" lists to be incredibly whiney. Having to listen to my American Indian female professor at a division one research university tell me that all of her problems were caused by white males(and that even though I was working two jobs to pay my way through school side by side with "people of color", my very existance contributed to the problems) took the give-a-damn right out of me.

Pasa

jamieknyc
Jul 28, 2011, 2:41 PM
Being upset that someone can't tell my sexuality by looking at me isn't rational. Calling it mono priviledge is likewise irrational. Then again, I have always found the "priviledge" lists to be incredibly whiney. Having to listen to my American Indian female professor at a division one research university tell me that all of her problems were caused by white males(and that even though I was working two jobs to pay my way through school side by side with "people of color", my very existance contributed to the problems) took the give-a-damn right out of me.

Pasa
If you noticed, the ones who complain about these things are not the poor or the workers but rather petty-bourgeois types like professors.

DuckiesDarling
Jul 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
You know what I have noticed about a lot of the "privilege checklist" is that you can substitute anything you want and put in there and pretty much customize your list to read what YOU want it to read.

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 11:45 PM
I've seen several references to the idea that if I'm out with my wife people assume I'm straight, or if I'm with a guy they assume I'm gay as "priviledge" for monosexuals and bad for me.

I guess I'm confused by this. Why wouldn't they assume this? Why would tbey assume I was bi?

No, the idea is not that people should assume you're bi, the idea is that no one should assume you're either straight or gay. That is one of the reasons why we need to raise awareness of bisexuality.

Being upset that someone can't tell my sexuality by looking at me isn't rational. Calling it mono priviledge is likewise irrational.

Maybe your lack of concern about bi invisibility has something to do with your particular life situation? By now you must have noticed how important an issue it is to bi people who are still single?

It is odd to hear a bisexual in one breath call for sticking to common ground with gays and lesbians, and then airily dismiss the concerns of other bisexuals in the next.

Then again, I have always found the "priviledge" lists to be incredibly whiney. Having to listen to my American Indian female professor at a division one research university tell me that all of her problems were caused by white males(and that even though I was working two jobs to pay my way through school side by side with "people of color", my very existance contributed to the problems) took the give-a-damn right out of me.

Pasa

One person perhaps being a bit too self-pitying took the give-a-damn right out of you? Maybe you didn't place much value on that give-a-damn in the first place.

DuckiesDarling
Jul 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
You know what I have noticed about a lot of the "privilege checklist" is that you can substitute anything you want and put in there and pretty much customize your list to read what YOU want it to read.

Just found something and too late to edit but it does kinda prove my point....

http://www.metafilter.com/74157/An-Anthology-of-Privilege-Checklists

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
If you noticed, the ones who complain about these things are not the poor or the workers but rather petty-bourgeois types like professors.

You seem to be implying that your not hearing working-class people complain about these things means that matters of privilege don't bother them; am I reading you correctly here?

Maybe you should take a second look at this part of Shiri's writing:

Being able to write a list of privileges is not transparent for me: many privileges benefited me while writing it. I am a Jewish citizen of Israel (and thus have access to many civil rights and privileges denied from Palestinians); I am an English speaker; I am a university graduate; I have (had) access to academic and political writings about bisexuality and queer theory/politics; I have an internet connection, computer access and the technical skills required to operate a computer; though I am not able-bodied, I am able to use my hands for typing and my eyes for reading (albeit with the help of glasses). These are all privileges which I can think about that enabled me to write this post (there are probably alot more). As you read the list, please consider your own privileges in light of this paragraph and of the list itself.

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Just found something and too late to edit but it does kinda prove my point....

http://www.metafilter.com/74157/An-Anthology-of-Privilege-Checklists

And what exactly is your point, DD? The information you present amounts to evidence that privilege takes many forms. One could conclude from this that there is a lot on this topic to consider, but your tone implies that we should not bother thinking about it at all. Again, am I misreading you?

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
https://sindeloke.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/37/
[visit link for live links and formatting lost in my quick copy-and-paste]

January 13, 2010
On the difference between Good Dogs and Dogs That Need a Newspaper Smack.
Filed under: Uncategorized — Sindelókë @ 2:29 am
Tags: 101

Today I’m feeling 101-y, I guess, so let’s talk about privilege.

It’s a weird word, isn’t it? A common one in my circles, it’s one of the most basic, everyday concepts in social activism, we have lots of unhelpful snarky little phrases we like to use like “check your privilege” and a lot of our dialog conventions are built around a mutual agreement (or at least a mutual attempt at agreement) on who has privilege when and how to compensate for that. But nonetheless fairly weird, opaque even if you’ve never used it before or aren’t part of those circles. It’s also, the way we use it, very much a cultural marker – like “Tolkienesque” or “Hall-of-famer” or “heteronormative,” you can feel fairly assured that a large number of people will immediately stop listening and stop taking you seriously the moment you use it.

The fact that people are stupid isn’t news, however. And actually that’s kind of why the concept of privilege is important – because privilege isn’t about being stupid. It’s not a bad thing, or a good thing, or something with a moral or value judgement of any kind attached to it. Having privilege isn’t something you can usually change, but that’s okay, because it’s not something you should be ashamed of, or feel bad about. Being told you have privilege, or that you’re privileged, isn’t an insult. It’s a reminder! The key to privilege isn’t worrying about having it, or trying to deny it, or apologize for it, or get rid of it. It’s just paying attention to it, and knowing what it means for you and the people around you. Having privilege is like having big feet. No one hates you for having big feet! They just want you to remember to be careful where you walk.

At this point maybe I should actually start talking about what privilege is, huh?

Well, we’re right here online, so let’s start with the Google definition. As per standard for googledefs, it’s hardly comprehensive, but entirely adequate for our purposes here, particularly the second entry:

If you talk about privilege, you are talking about the power and advantage that only a small group of people have, usually because of their wealth or their high social class.

This is the basic heart of the idea. Privilege is an edge… a set of opportunities, benefits and advantages that some people get and others don’t. For example, if it’s raining in the morning, and you get up, get dressed, climb into the nice warm car in your garage, drive to the closed parking lot at work, and walk into the adjacent building, you don’t get wet. If you go outside and wait at the bus stop, then walk between busses for your transfer, then walk from the bus stop to work, you do get wet. Not getting wet, then, is a privilege afforded you by car and garage ownership. So far, so straightforward, right?

Some examples of social privilege work exactly the same way, and they’re the easy ones to understand. For instance, a young black male driver is much, much more likely to get pulled over by the cops in America than an old white woman. Getting pulled over less, then – being given the benefit of the doubt by an authority figure – is in this case, a privilege of being white. (I’m not getting into the gender factor here, intersectionality is a whole different post.)

Okay, again, so far so straightforward. And thus far, there’s not much to be done about it, right? You’re not going to, as a white person, make a point of getting pulled over more often, and nobody’s asking you to. (Well, I’m not, at least.) So if someone says “check your privilege,” if I tell you to watch where you’re putting your feet, what the hell does that mean?

Well. This is where things get a bit tricky to understand. Because most examples of social privilege aren’t that straightforward. Let’s take, for example, a basic bit of male privilege:

A man has the privilege of walking past a group of strange women without worrying about being catcalled, or leered at, or having sexual suggestions tossed at him.

A pretty common male response to this point is “that’s a privilege? I would love if a group of women did that to me.”

And that response, right there, is a perfect shining example of male privilege.

To explain how and why, I am going to throw a lengthy metaphor at you. In fact, it may even qualify as parable. Bear with me, because if it makes everything crystal clear, it will be worth the time.

Imagine, if you will, a small house, built someplace cool-ish but not cold, perhaps somewhere in Ohio, and inhabited by a dog and a lizard. The dog is a big dog, something shaggy and nordic, like a Husky or Lapphund – a sled dog, built for the snow. The lizard is small, a little gecko best adapted to living in a muggy rainforest somewhere. Neither have ever lived anywhere else, nor met any other creature; for the purposes of this exercise, this small house is the entirety of their universe.

The dog, much as you might expect, turns on the air conditioning. Really cranks it up, all the time – this dog was bred for hunting moose on the tundra, even the winter here in Ohio is a little warm for his taste. If he can get the house to fifty (that’s ten C, for all you weirdo metric users out there), he’s almost happy.

The gecko can’t do much to control the temperature – she’s got tiny little fingers, she can’t really work the thermostat or turn the dials on the A/C. Sometimes, when there’s an incandescent light nearby, she can curl up near it and pick up some heat that way, but for the most part, most of the time, she just has to live with what the dog chooses. This is, of course, much too cold for her – she’s a gecko. Not only does she have no fur, she’s cold-blooded! The temperature makes her sluggish and sick, and it permeates her entire universe. Maybe here and there she can find small spaces of warmth, but if she ever wants to actually do anything, to eat or watch TV or talk to the dog, she has to move through the cold house.

Now, remember, she’s never known anything else. This is just how the world is – cold and painful and unhealthy for her, even dangerous, and she copes as she knows how. But maybe some small part of her thinks, “hey, it shouldn’t be like this,” some tiny growing seed of rebellion that says who she is right next to a lamp is who she should be all the time. And she and the dog are partners, in a sense, right? They live in this house together, they affect each other, all they’ve got is each other. So one day, she sees the dog messing with the A/C again, and she says, “hey. Dog. Listen, it makes me really cold when you do that.”

The dog kind of looks at her, and shrugs, and keeps turning the dial.

This is not because the dog is a jerk.

This is because the dog has no fucking clue what the lizard even just said.

Consider: he’s a nordic dog in a temperate climate. The word “cold” is completely meaningless to him. He’s never been cold in his entire life. He lives in an environment that is perfectly suited to him, completely aligned with his comfort level, a world he grew up with the tools to survive and control, built right in to the way he was born.

So the lizard tries to explain it to him. She says, “well, hey, how would you like it if I turned the temperature down on you?”

The dog goes, “uh… sounds good to me.”

What she really means, of course, is “how would you like it if I made you cold.” But she can’t make him cold. She doesn’t have the tools, or the power, their shared world is not built in a way that allows it – she simply is not physically capable of doing the same harm to him that he’s doing to her. She could make him feel pain, probably, I’m sure she could stab him with a toothpick or put something nasty in his food or something, but this specific form of pain, he will never, ever understand – it’s not something that can be inflicted on him, given the nature of the world they live in and the way it’s slanted in his favor in this instance. So he doesn’t get what she’s saying to him, and keeps hurting her.

Most privilege is like this.

A straight cisgendered male American, because of who he is and the culture he lives in, does not and cannot feel the stress, creepiness, and outright threat behind a catcall the way a woman can. His upbringing has given him fur and paws big enough to turn the dials and plopped him down in temperate Ohio. When she says “you don’t have to put up with being leered at,” what she means is, “you don’t ever have to be wary of sexual interest.” That’s male privilege. Not so much that something doesn’t happen to men, but that it will never carry the same weight, even if it does.

So what does this mean? And what are we asking you to do, when we say “check your privilege” or “your privilege is showing”?

Well, quite simply, we want you to understand when you have fur. And, by extension, when that means you should listen. See, the dog’s not an asshole just for turning down the temperature. As far as he knows, that’s fine, right? He genuinely cannot feel the pain it causes, he doesn’t even know about it. No one thinks he’s a bad person for totally accidentally doing harm.

Here’s where he becomes an asshole: the minute the gecko says, “look, you’re hurting me,” and he says, “what? No, I’m not. This ‘cold’ stuff doesn’t even exist, I should know, I’ve never felt it. You’re imagining it. It’s not there. It’s fine because of fur, because of paws, because look, you can curl up around this lamp, because sometimes my water dish is too tepid and I just shut up and cope, obviously temperature isn’t this big deal you make it, and you’ve never had to deal with mange anyway, my life is just as hard.”

And then the dog just ignores it. Because he can. That’s the privilege that comes with having fur, with being a dog in Ohio. He doesn’t have to think about it. He doesn’t have to live daily with the cold. He has no idea what he’s talking about, and he will never, ever be forced to learn. He can keep making the lizard miserable until the day they both die, and he will never suffer for it beyond the mild annoyance of her complaining. And she, meanwhile, gets to try not to freeze to death.

So, quite simply: don’t be that dog. If you’re straight and a queer person says “do not title your book ‘Beautiful Cocksucker,’ that’s stupid and offensive,” listen and believe him. If you’re white and a black person says “really, now, we’re all getting a little tired of that What These People Need Is A Honky trope, please write a better movie,” listen and believe her. If you’re male and a woman says “this maquette is a perfect example of why women don’t read comics,” listen and believe her. Maybe you don’t see anything wrong with it, maybe you think it’s oh-so-perfect to your artistic vision, maybe it seems like an oversensitive big deal over nothing to you. WELL OF COURSE IT DOES, YOU HAVE FUR. Nevertheless, just because you personally can’t feel that hurt, doesn’t mean it’s not real. All it means is you have privilege.

That’s not a bad thing. You can’t help being born with fur. Every single one of us has some kind of privilege over somebody. What matters is whether we’re aware of it, and what we choose to do with it, and that we not use it to dismiss the valid and real concerns of the people who don’t share our particular brand.

DuckiesDarling
Jul 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
Atiq, my point was in my previous post that I quoted. That there are so many checklists out there and if you read carefully you'll see they basically all say the same thing on a lot of the so called Privileges. It's like someone set up an internet Mad Lib game and let people insert whatever they were pushing at the moment and then hit a button and it went Poof, post it and you are an internet sensation.

NotLostJustWandering
Jul 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
Atiq, my point was in my previous post that I quoted. That there are so many checklists out there and if you read carefully you'll see they basically all say the same thing on a lot of the so called Privileges. It's like someone set up an internet Mad Lib game and let people insert whatever they were pushing at the moment and then hit a button and it went Poof, post it and you are an internet sensation.

Yeah, DD, whatever. As a bisexual I can clearly see that Shiri put a lot more thought and effort into this writing than that.

tenni
Jul 29, 2011, 2:28 AM
I think that whatever privileges that we have that are there because of natural physical attributes are difficult to perceive (race, skin colour, eye colour, height, weight, physical ability, gender, sexual orientation etc.). How can I really understand that being a one legged black gay male in the US lack of privilege if I am a basically able bodied, white male living in Canada?

As a single bisexual man who is not political about my sexual orientation, I suspect that I have more privileges than a bisexual man living in a same sex relationship. I find it interesting that the majority of posters rejecting the possibility of monosexual privilege are either monosexual or in a cross sex relationship. I don't really know if these traits are monosexual privilege but I'm not about to reject the possibility after such little reflection.

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 29, 2011, 2:46 AM
I'm not denying that privilege exists. It does.

What I'm saying is: so what? The world is unfair, and there is always someone who has an easier/harder time of it than you do.

Do you want marriage equality? So do I.
Do you want an end to job discrimination? So do I.

Anything past that is about how people think and perceive me. It doesn't matter a whit how much they think I'm gay, or straight, or bi. I don't think it matters if they leap to the wrong conclusion. How does it actually affect me other than a moment of social awkwardness if they make the wrong assumption (easily corrected)?

My point in all of this is that whining about privilege is just that: whining. Let's actually work on REAL issues that affect our ability to work, love, and seek happiness as we wish. I read that entire list of "what is biphobia" in combination with the list you give above and not one of them affected my ability to maintain a job, get a home, raise a family...at all. The only thing it affected was a few social situations.

Let's work on awareness. Let's work on homophobia (actual phobia, that does actual harm...not the petty shit). Let's work on same sex marriage. Let's work on getting more awareness of support groups. Lets work on funding for things like GSA groups in schools. THESE things address actual, feasible, practical problems with solutions. I'm about practicality, and this is practical.

Pasa

drugstore cowboy
Jul 29, 2011, 3:06 AM
Let's work on homophobia (actual phobia, that does actual harm...not the petty shit). Let's work on same sex marriage. Let's work on getting more awareness of support groups. Lets work on funding for things like GSA groups in schools. THESE things address actual, feasible, practical problems with solutions. I'm about practicality, and this is practical.

Pasa

This is coming from a hypocritical closet case who thinks that silly TV shows that show gay men in outdated offensive stereotypical carictures caused same gender marriage and that what my city's then mayor Gavin Newsome did was somehow horrible and shocking to heterosexuals :rolleyes:, when in reality same gender marriage was something that had been coming for a long time and it was needed.

I've also read posts of yours where you argued for Don't ask Don't tell.

You also seem to have lots of heterophobia and think that most heterosexuals hate gay men and bisexuals.

That's nice that you hide in your hetero closet at work. to your family, or when you're with your wife but it just makes your arguments a complete moot point.

When I've lived with male partners in the past we have been denied housing since the landlord did not want to rent out property to two men living together. Now there are laws against such things but someone who stays in the hetero closet wouldn't know about this.

No it is not "whining" to say just how as a GLBT person you've been treated as a second class citizen for most of your life.

You're not as old as I am but I know A LOT of people who have been fired or forced to resign at work when they came out as bisexual or gay/lesbian.

Even you yourself have somehow claimed that if you came out as bisexual at your job that you'd be fired or reprimanded yet you run a GSA and are supposed to be there for GLBT students but are not out as bisexual.

Biphobia and bisexual erasure are both very real things, and they are just as bad and destructive as homophobia is. To think that they're not is delusional.

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 29, 2011, 8:06 AM
I can't recall ever supporting DADT except in so far as it is better than what we had before (I served under both DADT and the previous policy). So, I think you have me mistaken with someone else.

Yes, I believe that we'd be much further along if Newsome hadn't decided to push it. When you freak the mundanes, the backlash is predictable. Rather than working with our allies to continue on the progress that was already being made, he went for the publicity stunt and almost over night DOMA became a household word. I applaud what he wanted to do. But he shot the same sex marriage movement in the foot and it's taken nearly a decade to recover.

I'll ignore the personal attacks. The old tried and true attacks about ones relationship to their closet are always a crowd pleaser, but usually only used by trolls.

The rest of the things you bring up are the VERY SAME issues I said we need to actually work on. You were so busy attacking me you might not have noticed. You even quoted the very paragraph where I say let's work on real issues (like marriage and employment discrimination) and not worry about the non-issues (like most of the bi-phobia list given in another thread).

And to be clear...I'm not pbobic of gays, bis or straights. I simply understand the realities of the damage a minority of people in any group can cause, and in the straight world, that minority is vocal. You live in SF. That is a whole different world. Go live in Nebraska, or Texas. Hell, live as a straight person in those areas for a bit. Then tell me how your perception changes.

MY perception of straight culture changed considerably once I became aware of my own sexuality. I don't fear striaght folks as people. I do fear their fear, jowever, when it can affect my job, housing, or children.

Pasa

Pasadenacpl2
Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 AM
Oh, and to be clear on one other issue. I know bi-phobia exists. My contention is that the supposed list of what biphobia looks like isn't addressing actual biphobia or it's results. Yes, those things on that list are annoying, but usually the result of ignorance rather than fear.

Pasa